Here's all the practical stuff you need to know for the event this weekend. It's mostly common sense, but read it through anyway - there's always something you'll forget. Plus there's a map showing where we'll be meeting.Time
We are scheduled for 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm on Saturday, August 4th. This means that we will get the kites in the air by 1:30, and we are obligated to disperse by 4:00.
We have and alternate date of August 18th. If it becomes necessary to use the alternate date, I will post here.Place
Our permit gives us the Northwest Corner of the Washington Monument Grounds.Here's a map
- our area is circled in red.Rules
To keep the very National Park Service happy, and generally be good citizens, there are a few rules we need to follow:
1) Keep sidewalks and roads clear.
2) No merchandise or sales will be permitted.
3) Pick up all trash; the area is to be left in the same condition as when we started.
4) No glass-string kites
5) No kite-flying on or near the plaza area (circle of flags)
6) Do not allow kites to become tangles in trees, flag poles, or power lines (please! They'll charge me for it!)
7) No balloons or glass containers.
That's it, really. Don't block the roads, don't sell anything, pick up our trash, and watch where the kites go.Health and Safety
Now, I was out flying a kite on the mall last weekend. It was very hot, and very sunny. This weekend will be even moreso. I strongly recommend everyone bring bottled water
. As our gathering is relatively small, there will not be a first aid tent, and there will not be water provided. So please bring plenty of water; I'd really hate for anyone to get heatstroke.Me
If you'd like to be able to recognize me when you get there, I'm a medium-height guy with long brown hair. I'll be wearing a red t-shirt and jean shorts. I'll be flying a very large rainbow diamond kite.